Friday, August 25, 2006

Parkside Grill, Portola Valley, CA

Parkside Grill
Near Dr. Sanders (groovy vet), Portola Valley, CA



I left my connector cable at home, so a picture of the restaurant will suffice until I get the cord.

alright, here it is:



This was near my tortoise's vet in Portola Valley. Convenient on that factor. Turbo, all tuckered-out from her annual check-up, slept in my car while we, my beloved and I, ate.

Calamari with Orange Aioli

7 Batter
The batter was decent. Mild flavor with a good hint of salty. Nothing mind-blowing. I don't know what mind-blowing is, but when I find it--you all will be the first to know. Anyway, the batter was not spicy at all, which gets the rating knocked down (for my tastes at least).

8 + .5 - .5 Accoutrements
Different, which is always a good thing. I'd like to add that comment to Pasta Cuisine's review, because their accoutrements were different than any other time I've had fried calamari (the caramelized onions). Parkside Grill's calamari was served on a bed of caesar salad-sized bits of romaine lettuce, and that tasted quite suprisingly yum (versus boring) with a lemon squeezed on it. The orange aioli wasn't a bad thing either on the romaine. The other nice touch was a light layer of finely grated cheese all over the whole dish, something like pecorino or parmesan. I was trying to avoid half points, but after thinking about the cheese, I'm going to have to break my rule. I never imagined cheese on my calamari. Hmm, now I just remembered that this dish, too, was not colourful. I'll knock off the extra half point. At least at Pasta Cuisine it was served on a plate thickly rimmed with blue.

8 Squid
Not chewy. Not fishy. Good texture.

8 Sauce
Orange aioli. I love the citrus theme of this presentation, not that it was an overly citrusy theme, but now that I think about it, the overall flaver was citrusy between the fresh lemon squeezed over it and the orange aioli. The only thing about the aioli was that it was kinda mayo-ey. I know that aioli is essentially a mayonaise, but it just tasted really mayo-ey, like a hint of orange mixed with Hellmann's. And I really like mayo too, so I dunno what to tell you.

Overall

7.75 + an arbitrary extra .05 points for the stingy helping of tentacles =

7.80

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home